Our Technology - ElectraTherm
ElectraTherm employs a closed loop Organic Rankin Cycle engine to create electricity from low grade waste heat and/or pressure without fuel or emissions. Current applications include:
- Stationary IC engines
- Coal Fired Power Plants
- Geothermal & Hydrothermal sources
- Oil & Gas Industry
- Industrial Waste heat
How ElectraTherm Works
Surplus heat captured by the evaporator is used to “boil” the working fluid into a vapor.
Under pressure, the vapor is forced through the screw expander turning it to spin an electric generator.
The vapor is cooled and condensed back into a liquid in the condenser.
The working fluid liquid refrigerant is pumped to higher temperature and returned to the evaporator to repeat the process.
Historically, ORCs incorporating a turbo expander have not been viable in sizes less than 1mW. By replacing turbo expanders with ElectraTherm’s patented robust low-cost expander, end users benefit from short payback on systems that provide unattended operation and negligible maintenance. Because turbo-expanders often comprise 40-50% of the total equipment cost, ET can achieve a 30% - 40% price advantage over turbo driven, small scale power systems.
ElectraTherm ORC units have several other key advantages over
turbines in that they
- employ off-the-shelf parts, pumps, and piping, along with proven proprietary hardware technology and system design.
- run at roughly one-tenth the rotational speed of turbo expanders.
- perform with less friction and greater lobe strength than any other known twin screw rotor profile.
- operate without expensive gear boxes and/or electronics needed for high speed turbine operation.
- admit wet vapor to the closed loop system (impossible with turbines) allowing ET’s
- designed with a patented process lubrication system to eliminate the need for traditional oil pumps, tanks, lines and filters.
- are bullet proof, built to perform in caustic environments that damage high-speed turbines and turbo expanders.
- will accommodate low-temperature heat sources down to 200 degree liquids.
- employ a non-flammable , eco-friendly refrigerant selected for high performance at low temperatures.
- are totally modular in design.
ET’s patented “N” Rotor design raises the adiabatic efficiencies of ET’s twin screw positive displacement expander at lower tip speeds, replacing turbo-expanders at a fraction of the cost.
For additional details, click on logo to access ElectraTherm web site.
To review Jetson Green article re pilot installation, click on Green Machine
Return to Our Technology page